Checking sources for assignments (in-person) In-Person
The quality of your assignments are directly related to the quality of the sources you use, so knowing how to fact check and evaluate is important to your success at University, as well as future jobs. This workshop covers how to avoid 'fake' academic journals and investigate academic, news media, and social media sources using the SIFT method.
Key areas covered
- Advantages of using academic sources in assignments
- How to spot predatory journals or fake academic publications
- Using the SIFT fact checking method
- Digital skills for verifying information found via academic, news media, and social media sources
- Where to look for reliable sources
Essex students: book your place here!
We encourage students to book onto our workshops via CareerHub in order to keep a record of their learning
Don't have access to CareerHub? You can register below.
It's not a requirement to preregister for our online workshops. You can decide on the day to join us on the day in the Library Learning Room on the ground floor of the Library
Related LibGuide: On Track for your Masters by Oona Ylinen
- Thursday 30 November 2023
- 15:00 - 16:00
- Time Zone:
- UK, Ireland, Lisbon Time (change)
- LRR Training Room
Looking for more opportunities to develop your skills? Visit Workshops at Library to discover more sessions designed to support Essex students and researchers.
Want info about our upcoming workshops straight to your inbox? Sign up to our monthly Workshops At Library mailing list. You can unsubscribe at any time.